Probate Solicitors Fees
Bexleyheath, Petts Wood (Orpington) & Blackheath
We can help you through this difficult process by either obtaining the grant for you or assisting you with the full administration of estate.
The fees set out below cover probate work in uncontested cases where all the assets are in the UK. This is intended as a guide as every estate is different and we suggest that you contact our office for an estimate based on your particular circumstances.
Obtaining a Grant only
Where the estate is less than £325,000, and there is no Inheritance Tax (“IHT” – the tax sometimes payable on estates) to pay and HMRC will accept form IHT205, our fee is £650.00 plus VAT.
Where the estate is greater than £325,000 then IHT issues may arise. Our fees are likely to be in the region of £750.00 – £1750.00 plus VAT.
In simple cases a Grant can be obtained within 4 weeks of receiving your instructions and valuations of the assets and liabilities of the estate from you.
Obtaining a Grant and Administering the Estate
Gross Value Fixed Fee/Percentage (plus VAT)
Up to £100,000 £2,000
Up to £200,000 £4,000
Up to £325,000 £5,000
Between £325,000 and £650,000 1.75% of gross value
Between £650,000 and £1,000,000 2% of gross value
Above £1,000,000 1% of gross value
Our fee will cover:
- Ascertaining the value of the assets and liabilities of the estate.
- Completing on your behalf the Inland Revenue forms and relevant Oath to be signed by the Personal Representatives (“PRs”), Executor(s) or Administrator(s)
- Calculate the IHT and advise on how to pay it
- Pay any IHT
- Make an application for a Grant
- Prepare forms for the PRs to sign to sell/cash in or transfer assets
- Initial correspondence with beneficiaries and legatees to advise of their entitlement and estimated timescale
- Register the Grant of Probate where necessary and collect in the assets of the estate
- Pay any debts and legacies
- Finalise matters with HMRC about IHT
- Prepare estate accounts
- Distribute the estate
- Reporting to HMRC with details of any income received or capital gains arising during the administration period
Matters which may affect the fixed fee
Any additional work required, for example the conveyancing of any property in the estate, bringing income tax affairs up to date to the date of death, preparing a Deed of Variation or dealing with a trust that comes to an end on the death will be charged for separately with your agreement.
It is difficult to give a definitive guideline as each estate is different and there may, for example, be a delay in selling property or Inheritance Tax complications or difficulty tracing beneficiaries. On average it will take about 2 months to be in a position to apply for a grant and it can take a further 6-9 months thereafter to finalise the estate.
Disbursements (fees payable to others)
- Probate court fee £155.00 plus 50p for each copy required
- Bankruptcy search fee £2.00 per search – (this will be higher if a beneficiary lives abroad)
- Statutory advertisements, if required, on average £230.00.
Our fees are usually payable out of the estate, not personally by the Personal Representatives.
Your matter will be handled by Deirdre Barnes who is assisted by Katrina Reid.