James qualified as a Solicitor in November 2012 and joined Aletta Shaw in June 2018, having previously worked for other London and Kent based law firms.
James is the Head of the Property team. Since joining Aletta Shaw James has expanded the conveyancing department so that the Firm is now able to offer advice in relation to a whole range of transactions.
- Freehold and Leasehold conveyancing sales and purchases
- Unregistered Land and first registration
- Newbuilds, Right to buy, Buy to let, Part buy part let and Staircasing
- Auction sale and purchases
- Joint ownership and trust deeds
- Transfers of equity and Re-mortgages
- Sales of part
- Grant of an easement
- Grant of a new lease, Lease extensions, Purchase of Freehold, Rights of First Refusal and Leasehold enfranchisement
- Mobile Telephone Communication Mast and Solar Panel Leases
Commercial Property and other more complex and niche transactions
- Commercial Freehold and Leasehold transactions including dealing with contaminated land issues
- Renewal of commercial Leases
- Drafting and approving new commercial Leases
- Asset purchase agreements including Public Houses, Post Offices and other small businesses
- Pension fund Commercial Property Purchases including working with Pension Trustee solicitors
- Bridging Loans for Developers
- Secured Lending – Acting solely for the lender in commercial and residential lending transactions
- Purchasing new development sites for land developers including preparing overage specific provisions
- Preparing and completing utility easements
- Agricultural specific property work including Farm Business Tenancies and Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 Tenancies.
- Overage Advice including analysing the different mechanisms to protect an overage position
- Option Agreements
- Share Sale and Purchase – advising on the property elements of the transaction
- Local Authority (County, Local and Parish) and Education property specific work including office expansion and academisation.
- Highways Development property advice
- Secured lending with the Thames Innovation Gateway Growth and Enterprise (TIGER) scheme.
- Mooring Leases
- Charity specific property work
He understands that paying attention to detail in any transaction is essential. During his time at Aletta Shaw thus far, James has established good working relationships with clients and other professionals whilst ensuring each transaction is dealt with as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
Hobbies and Interests
In his spare time, James enjoys walking, squash and playing board games. His interest in board games began when his grandparents taught him to play chess, draughts and card games as a child. He has since expanded his interest to a variety of board and table top games including advanced strategy games. He attended the UK Games Expo last year and enjoys going to different board game cafés with friends.