Legal Assistant (Family Team)
Office: Blackheath Salary: Subject to experience
Main role and responsibilities
- To assist a senior Solicitor in a busy Family Team with the day to day running of his caseload.
- To assist with general file management of electronic files. Including opening files on the case management system.
- To use the electronic case management system (LEAP), Outlook, Word and Excel.
- To undertake conflict checks and obtain file identity documentation.
- To accurately and swiftly type dictation.
- To send and receive letters / emails on behalf of the fee earner.
- To draft straightforward letters, emails, attendance notes and other documents.
- To manage the fee earner’s diary including making and recording appointments.
- To record all key dates on the electronic file, Outlook and the Central Key Dates diary.
- To monitor upcoming key dates on behalf of the fee earner.
- To ensure that any billable work carried out by the Secretary / Assistant is properly accounted for and time recorded, if relevant.
- To meet with clients face-to-face when required, to provide and receive information and documentation.
- To make and receive telephone calls with clients on behalf of the fee earner, dealing with clients in a helpful, polite and efficient manner. To update clients where possible, or to take clear messages for the fee earner if they are unable to deal with the enquiry.
- To liaise with third parties such as the opponent’s solicitors, Counsel’s clerk or experts.
- To create electronic bundles.
- To use the HMRC portal to submit documents such as divorce petitions, application forms and draft consent orders with supporting papers.
- To regularly review ledgers to ensure that funds are held on account of costs.
- To arrange payment of disbursements.
- To review the fee earner’s matter list to identify files for billing on a weekly basis.
- To close and archive files.
- To take card payments and post payment requests promptly and accurately.
- To prepare client invoices.
- To answer incoming calls to the firm as part of a rota as and when required.
- To undertake any other reasonable tasks as requested by the fee earner or other colleagues with the main fee earner’s agreement.
Essential Experience / Qualifications
- At least 2-5 years’ experience working within a Family Law team.
- Experience in using a legal case management system.
- Experience in using Outlook, Excel & Word.
- Excellent client care skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Typing speed of at least 60 WPM with 95% accuracy.
- Appropriate secretarial qualification.
- The ability to proactively assist the fee earner to manage his caseload.
Desirable Experience / Qualifications
- Experience using LEAP (case management system).
- Experience of using the HMRC portal.
- CILEX Level 2 Certificate or Diploma.